In order to make it easier, Jason Strimpel and I created a project template, create-responsive-template, that takes care of a few things for you:
- Uses Twitter Bootstrap for a baseline style and responsive UI
- A couple of small JS helpers for AppCache and network events
- A build step that optimizes JS and CSS and generates the AppCache manifest for you
Here is a video that shows how you can use the template:
The next steps I would like to see for this project template:
- An IndexedDB data layer: A JS helper library that looks like the IndexedDB API, but will use an API shim over Web SQL if IndexedDB is not available. The shim does not have to implement 100% of the IndexedDB API, but something that allows a good start to local data storage. I am looking at Lawnchair at the moment, but open to other ideas.
- An easy way to generate app store manifests for Mozilla Web Apps and Google Chrome Store.