Have an iPhone, but wish you could IM your buddies? Now you can, with TinyBuddy IM. It is an AIM® Enabled web-based IM tool. It works by using the Web AIM API, OpenAuth and Dojo.
So the price of this added security is pop-up windows. A new window will be popped so you can authenticate with the OpenAuth servers, and also when giving consent to the application to access your buddy list and IM. For the consent prompts, you can choose "Grant Always" to avoid them on subsequent logins. I think the pop-ups are worth the added security, and at least in iPhone's Safari, window popping looks neat. Unfortunately, the OpenAuth Sign In and Consent pages are made for larger windows, so you will have to double-tap zoom to read them.
So give it a whirl if you like. I'm sure the code it not bulletproof, and I've noticed enough weirdness with iPhone's Safari to guarantee that I will not be able to give comprehensive support. Also, even though I'm an AOL employee, AOL does not endorse this project or have anything to do with it (but thanks to my co-workers for ideas and early testing, all done of their own accord).
Also, I'm using an OpenAuth dev key, so if there is too much usage you might see some rate limit errors, but we'll see how it goes.
Some other interesting tidbits:
- The Web AIM API is a Comet API. It uses long polling to work cross-domain in the browser. I'm using more of a short poll with pauses between the polls to hopefully smooth out network hiccups on the phone.
- Don't like the CSS? You can make your own and tell the app to use it instead. Go to the test launcher page to specify the path to your CSS. Click the Launch button, then copy launch URL. Use that URL when you want to use the application. This feature is not allowed for IE browsers given its security problems with CSS "expressions".
- Use the iPhone two finger scroll to scroll the buddy list and IM conversations.
- Typing IMs should be optimally sized for use with the virtual keyboard. Just type in the text box at the bottom of the IM window and press "Go" on the keyboard.
- I'm using Dojo Accordions for the IMs and buddy list. I like the use of space with that model and that I can show you incoming IM text if that IM AccordionPane is in the closed position.
- onbeforeunload does not seem to fire for iPhone Safari. That makes it hard to log out correctly, so to clear your OpenAuth cookies, be sure to use the Available, Sign Out menu item.